Friday, January 16, 2009

A Minor Room Shoot

I had worked in the Operating Room and Delivery Room for two years. It is a work area where one has to think twice about sterility before touching anything. The sterility of everything inside plays a big role in the success of the surgery performed and negligence can even end a patient's life.

Ever since I got into photography, I have always played with the thought of shooting in an Operating Room because the idea of neglecting the sterility of the area and equipment just for one time always lingered inside my head. Not that I wanted to cause harm to any of the patients, but just the thought that not everyone has the opportunity to do a shoot inside the OR.


Working in a prestigious plastic surgery hospital where patients come from all over the world has even made the idea of shooting more appealing to me. (just to me) I have resolved to do the shoot without the knowledge of supervisors because I knew that I would get a big NO from them. All I needed was the perfect timing and the right models who would cooperate and who knew what not to touch inside the room.

Alas, an opportunity to do my somewhat evil desire has come! One of the minor rooms in the ER was scheduled for general sterilization the next day and that meant that no cases were to be done in that room all night.
If an emergency case came up, it had to be done at the other room. My models? I got a registered nurse and a practical nurse who also loved the evil thought I had. Lucky me!

Plans were laid and at 2 am when the supervisor was up in the 10th floor and my colleagues were in their somnolent, drowsy mood at the counter, with my lookout (one of the models' brother who was on duty) in place, we snicked into the room and had our 30 minutes of shooting.

At 5 am, a team came in and started the sterilization process, leaving no trace of bacteria we brought inside.

No comments: